Friday 2 January 2015

Pineapple Rolls


Finally got around to make these.  These are popular snacks for Chinese New Year.  My first attempt for Pineaple rolls.  I think it is a great way to start a new year!! :)

It is very nice of my friend Evelyn Lim to share her lovely recipe with me.  I made some adjustment to her recipe because I do not have all the needed ingredients & wanted so badly to try to make these rolls.  Ghee is also another ingredients which I'd read in many blogs that it will give the tarts a buttery flavour.  

These rolls are so yummy & they melts in your mouth. 

I used these tools to help me piped out the pastry. Thanks to my friend SiewLoon who brought me these when she visited Paris in March 2014. 



Pineapple Rolls Adapted from Evelyn Lim's Recipe.  

Pastry Ingredients : 
150g butter 
100g pure ghee ( I used QB pure ghee )
60g icing sugar 
2 egg yolks
370g plain flour
2 tbsp custard powder 
2 tbsp cornflour 

Tart fillings :
500g pineapple jam 

Egg wash :
1 egg - beaten 
1/4 tsp salt 

Method : 
1. Divide the pineapple jam into small portion & form into an oval shapes. 
2. Combine all the pastry ingredients into a mixer, set on low speed until a soft dough is form. Remove & let it rest for 5 minutes. 
3a. Place some dough into to the mould & pressed out the dough about 5cm in length. Place a piece of jam fillings on one end & roll up to enclose the fillings. 
Note: with the grains facing down. 
3b. Alternatively you can piped out a long strips , put the jam filling at the end , roll & cut out, continue until you finish the whole strips. Hence you do not need to measure the each strips.  Thanks to Christina Lim's advise. I'll try that the next batch of bake! ;) 
4. Brush some egg wash on the pastry. Bake in a preheated oven at 180 deg C for 15 mins or until golden brown. 
5. Remove from oven & leave it completely cool before keeping them in an airtight containers. 

Bon appétit !! 

Chin's Note:
1. The original recipe as for 250g margarine. I replaced with butter & ghee. 
2. Here are some pictures of the process for making these rolls. 

3. There are other moulds used to pipe out the pastry. I find the tools that I have needs a lot of strength, after a few my thumb & fingers hurts. I could be doing it the wrong way. 

4. Added 05/01/2015 - Apparently there is an extension for my mould. Here is a picture of Chirstina's tool to pipe out the pastry. 

No comments:

Post a Comment