Sunday 3 May 2015

South Taiwan Braised Pork


I love to eat pork especially braised pork. Saw Rontree Chan shared the following link in a cooking forum. And I just have to try it & the verdict ! Yummy is the word!

I have never tried this dish.  The meat & peanuts are just the right texture. The gravy is superb!

I had them with cooked steamed rice & perfect with pickled cucumber. 

The best part is , there is no additional cooking oil added. I guess it is slightly healthier ;)

The ingredients are easily available too. 
Ingredients at a glance

South Taiwan Braised Pork Belly 

Video of the shared recipe: 

Below is my interpretation of the recipe: 
Ingredients
Pork belly, sliced & cut into stripes
5 star anise , I used 8, cos I thought I heard 8. 
Raw ground Peanuts - as much as you like. 
Fried shallots
Fried garlic
5 spice powder
Salt, pepper & sugar to taste 
Light soya sauce 
Water 

Preparation steps: 
1. Fry the pork belly on the pan without oil until they turned white. Do not brown them. 
2. Then add the light soya sauce, add enough to get the nice browning color. Give a good stir. Add in all the remaining ingredients & stir well. 
3. Add water, just enough to cover the mixture, bring to boil & let it simmer for 50mins with the lid on. 
4. Served with cooked steamed rice or as suggested in the video cooked glutinous rice. 

Bon appétit ! 

Chin's notes: 
1.  I added some dark soya sauce to get the darker brown. 
2. I like them a little sweet & salty (adjust to your taste). I like to use rock sugar in my cooking. 
3. I used 8 star anise instead of 5 cos I heard wrong, I was worried about the dish may turned out too strong. But it turned out perfect!! 
4. Here is the recipe to the pickled cucumbers: 
5. Thank you Jacqueline Wee, for sharing the following website to give the measurement of ingredients used: 
Here is the translation in English :-
400g Pork belly, sliced & cut into stripes 
5 pieces star anise 
Raw ground Peanuts 100g
Fried shallots 2 tbs 油蔥酥2大匙
Fried garlic 2 tbs、蒜酥2大匙
5 spice powder 1 tsp
Light soya sauce 3 tbs
Rock sugar 1 tbs
Pepper 1 tsp
Salt 1 tsp

No comments:

Post a Comment