Thursday 3 September 2015

Mooncakes Round 1 - 2015

Finally I managed to try to bake some traditional mooncakes this year.  Been wanting to try making some mooncakes since last year but did not get a chance because I do not have the tools with me.  Thanks to Andrew Lim, who helped me get some moulds from Singapore & I bought a few more when I was in KL. ;)

Mooncakes ready for the oven.

My weights ratio between the filling & dough is about 2:1. Eg 30g of filling & 20g of dough. If lesser dough was used I find that the mooncake's skin is too thin. 


Shaping of the mooncakes. I used plastic sheets to flatten the dough. 


Remember to dust your mould with flour before you mould your mooncake each time!  Otherwise the dough will stick to the mould & will be difficult to remove. 


After baked and after 2 applications of egg wash.

I couldn't find Lye / Alkaline water & my aunt suggested to put baking soda with the flour instead. I tried some bakes with baking soda added and some without baking soda.

There is a difference if Lye / Alkaline water is used in the dough. It helps to gives the mooncake's dough the colour & the texture is slightly softer / smoother.

Here are my mooncakes after they were aged for 3 days. 

Dough without baking soda added.

Dough with baking soda added.

Recipe from 

Chin's notes: 
1. I cannot find Lye / Alkaline water, hence I used baking soda instead. 1/4 tsp of baking soda were added.
2. I rested my dough at room temperature for 12 hours before moulding the mooncakes. 
3. Weight for each mooncakes is about 2:1 ratio. For mini mooncakes I used 30g of filling & 20g of dough. 
4. Ready mooncakes fillings were purchased from Kwong Cheong Thye. They were just perfect , not too sweet & very smooth the texture! 



No comments:

Post a Comment